Looking back over the past year, I think about all, the things we have done, all the decisions we have made; comments/concerns from others (mostly good); conversations we had with each other, doctors, family members and friends.
I am also reminded of a post I read back in July on an aquentencies blog called Tips on Life. This was a road map put together by a group of counselors for their campers at a sleep away camp. They sent it home with the campers for them to remember and to be able to put into use...it includes some of the simplest rules of life which at times we all forget but should remember:
- It is okay to ask for help.
- You do not need to be strong all the time.
- Nobody is perfect and everybody is fighting their inner battles.
- Be kind.
- Treat others how you would like to be treated.
- Not everything you learn in life will be in a classroom.
- Anything worth having is not easy to attain.
- Love is not supposed to be painful, true love is easy.
- Love is not a maybe thing, you know when you love someone.
- Do not be reckless with other people’s hearts and do not put up with people who are reckless with yours.
- Do not be afraid of life, it is meant to be lived.
- Live your life with no regrets.
- Try your best with everything, it is better to try and fail then never try at all.
- Do not put your happiness in someone else’s hands.
- Destiny is for losers.
- It’s not an excuse for things to happen instead of making them happen.
- Be independent, go to movies and eat alone sometimes.
- True friends are rare and hard to find.
- Surround yourself with people who truly care about you.
- You will have friendships that last a lifetime and friendships that fizzle out quickly, this is normal.
- Is inner beauty important? Inner beauty is very important.
- A kind heart will shine through.
- Love like you have never been hurt and live like you were dying.
- And then there was this line at the end of the letter: If you had a friend you knew you’d never see again, what would you say? If you could do one last thing for someone you love, what would it be? Say it. Do it. Don’t wait. Nothing lasts forever.
This post hit me hard back in July and I asked for permission then to use it (thanks Mark). I knew I would know when the time was right...
I have thought about each of the above tips...knowing that we don't do as many as we would like too. I know we have wronged people over the year, some we may have realized when it happened or soon afterwards, I hope we said "We are sorry" at that time. Some we may not have realized as we may have been wrapped up in our own lives or just did not realized, so please accept our apologies now. I hope over time we remember more of the tips and get better at doing them.
To all of those who have told us that we are strong, an inspiration, questioned how we do everything we do...well our answer is simple...we aren't always strong, aren't always an inspiration, and we don't always do it but it is easier with all the support and words of encouragement we get. It is remarkable who and what is out there. We are just caring for our children, loving our son and daughter, being their parents.