The Invisible String ... Love

Honestly, I don't remember how the conversation began...but I do remember things that were said and the meaning behind them. The four of us were getting ready to have a family game night. Ian got upset because he was missing Bullet, his hamster. Becca was the first one to console him, telling him that it was okay, Bullet was in a good place. He was happy in Heaven running around with all of his hamster friends. She proceeded to tell Ian that he will see Bullet again when they are both in Heaven, when someone or something goes to heaven, we will see them again when we get there. Really, how old is she. He calmed down after that, Brian and I really did not have to say anything, she took care of her twin...love.

Downstairs Becca went to get the game we were going to play...of course I came up with a reason to go down also. I had her sit down with me and ask her if she was okay. She said yes but started to cry. Then I asked her what she thought was going to happen with Ian, "what do you mean mommy", she asked. With his disease, I answered. Becca said, he is going to live a long time, and then the tears started rolling. Are you sure, I asked. This is where she got me...mommy I don't like to think about the future. I like to live in the here and now. Why do you think I like having family moving nights and game so often. The tears were still rolling. The here and the now is good and so is living one day at a time mommy as I don't feel like I am going to be a twin for a lot longer....

What I did not tell her and will the next time something comes up is that she will always be a twin. Just as we have told both kids regarding death, you always have the person in your heart so they are always with you.  We will have to sit and re-read the book The Invisible String again. This book deals with children's fear of being apart from the ones they love, that though we may be separated from the ones we care for, whether through anger, or distance or even death, love is the unending connection that binds us all, and by extension, ultimately binds every person on the planet to everyone else...

Comments

  1. ennifer Larsen Orlando What a wonderful blog. Becca is an amazing girl and such a great sister.

    Rachel Schreiber Levitan It's a like that's not really a like. {{{hugs}}}}

    Jennifer Paradise Baker another tear jerker :)

    Michelle Kampler Schwartz Marci Marci - this is such a painful part and you are handling it with such grace and such love and you are saying and doing all the right things....

    Barbara Paige So wise!so strong! Both of you! Hugs!

    Kendra Bober No words to describe how awesome I think you all are...wow...

    Emily Michelson Levin You all are superheroes! The wisdom, strength and bravery you exhibit each step of the way, is truly remarkable.

    Annelise Sullivan Two tough conversations in a row. So far you're handling it better than I can image I would.

    Jamie Cooper Biegeleisen Your posts always get me, especially last night's and today's. You all never cease to amaze me. I'll be ordering "The Invisible String" now. Thank you.

    Karen Garelick Wolfe That's beautiful, Marci. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts