Well we spent the weekend doing everything to not end up back in the hospital but it did not matter. We are back in Hopkins... this infection is doing a number on Ian. Every time he finishes the antibiotic, 2-3 days later he starts showing signs of infection again. He is currently on his 5th round of antibiotics since October. This time we also increased his pulmonary treatments to every 4 hours. Starting Friday night, he has been needing oxygen every night as well as for a few hours in the morning. We have needed to suction more often as well as there has been blood in his secretions. So after spending the weekend working with his Gilchrist team and speaking with his pulmonary team today it was decided we were out of options for keeping him home. We got down to the ER around 5:30 and finally got to a room around 11:00.
So far the chest xray looks good. The initial virus cultures are negative. They did another trach culture, drew blood and did a urine culture. An iv has been placed and iv antibiotics will be started shortly. The goal to figure out what is going on, the best way to treat it and get him home.
Once we were in a room, Ian have Brian permission to go home and take care of Becca...the real reason he would not let him leave until we were in a room, I can not drive his wheelchair as well as Brian and he did not want me to have to drive it. I love my son... Good night all.