Tonight Brian and I were both able to go to Becca's Court of Awards for Girl Scouts. Thanks Mark and Mary. Over the past few months, Becca along with her fellow Cadettes (6th-8th graders) have worked extremely hard to earn their It's Your Plant - Love It! Breathe Journey. In order to earn this they needed to do the following (from the Girl Scouts of Central Maryland site):
- Cadettes engage all five senses as they clear the air - their own and Earth's.
- Girls learn to assess air quality inside and out, getting an aerial view of everything from cigarette smoking to noise in the air to deforestation.
- Along the way, they try some scientific experiments (that could even double as magic tricks to share with Brownies).
- As they enjoy creating some "breathing room" in their lives, Cadettes may also find a new flair, think about "Hair," and perhaps even try making an eclair.
- After becoming more Aware, the girls go on to Alert others to act for air, and then Affirm their impact on Earth, as they add these three uplifting leadership awards to their collection of Girl Scout honors.
Along this Journey, Cadettes have the opportunity to earn three leadership awards that engage them in improving the world's air quality while also supporting and nourishing their own abilities as leaders who are aware, alert, and able to affirm all they do.
- Keep an Air Log throughout the Journey
- Identify two experts who can guide you to greater air awareness.
- Increase your AWAREness about the issues that impact Earth's air.
- Decide the most important, personal reason you care about Earth's air.
- With you Cadette team, choose an air issue to act on together.
- Decide whom to educate and inspire - this is your Air Care Team (ACT)!
- Decide what you will ask your Air Care Team to do.
- Decide how to reach your Air Care Team to inspire them to act on your air issues
- Educate and inspire! Give your ACT its call to action.
- Gather proof of progress or improvement through your efforts to educate and inspire.
- Share the impact with your ACT and maybe even go further.
- Get with your Cadette team and reflect on your efforts and their impact.
- Affirm your commitment to strive to be an heir apparent of air and all of Plant Earth's elements.
|The Journey Award which will go on her vest.|
In order to meet the above requirements the girls made a book with information on environmental friendly cleaners as well as how to make them.
In addition, the girls made a video showing all the important things they learned as well made a few of the environmental friendly cleaners.
The girls all got their participation patches. ..and yes Becca is an overachiever and likes to do it all.
|All of Becca's participation patches.|
|The girls getting their Journey Award.|
Overall the troop did very well with their cookie sales, selling over 3000 boxes. Becca did extremely well...thank you to all who supported her, she was top seller.
Looking forward to the rest of this year for scouts.