Well Friday (May 20), I decided to stay home as I was not comfortable leaving him, scared to leave him. A great decision on my part....he woke up saying he did not feel well...his temp was down to 99.5 (this was actually the highest it got to be all day). As the day progressed, so did Ian's respiratory distress. While he was getting his regular morning breathing treatments, he was not able to maintain his oxygen levels...so an increase in oxygen was needed. In addition, there was an increase in his secretions, they were thicker and starting to get discolored. We needed to play with the oxygen and continued to suction for a few hours until we could get him stable. His home respiratory therapists and hospice nurse were due to come for their visits on Friday...so that helped with deciding on a plan. Since not going to the hospital is in the plan, we needed to figure out how we were going to treat him without knowing what was really going on. From listening to him, we knew he had decreased breath sounds in his left lung. So the plan was to increase his respiratory treatments from 3 times a day to every 2 hours round the clock. This includes a nebulizer treatment, cough assist, and suctioning. We had some bactrim (antibiotic) in the home, so we started him on that. In addition, we could increase his ativan and oxycodone if needed. We know that would make him sleepy but we also know that sleeping when you are sick in a good thing.
Saturday (May 21) was an okay day, he had one episode in the morning which took me about 45 minutes to stabilize him. We continued to do his treatments every 2 hours and he slept on and off while watching TV. Around 6pm, he told me he needed all his respiratory treatments, which includes, nebulizer treatment, chest vest, cough assist, and suctioning. While doing this his first huge plug made an appearance. I did another treatment at 8pm and out came another plug...this was all good, better out then in we say. He was not running a temperature anymore and his breathing seemed to be a little bit better. As this point, I was hoping we were crossing over to the getting better side of things...only time would tell.
Saturday night was a good one for him, he slept through the night and all of his treatments. It was a quiet night for him.
Sunday (May 22) was not so great. We got lots of plugs out and he was on oxygen most of the day. In addition, he slept most of the day. He was on 1.5 liters of oxygen through out the night and his secretions continued to be thick.
Monday (May 23) was a better day. his secretions were starting to thin out. We were still doing his treatments every 2 hours. Around 4pm, we were able to get him off of oxygen and back on room air. In addition, we started to do his treatments every 4 hours. We were making a turn in the right direction. He took a good morning and afternoon nap but was awake for his regular visitors.
Tuesday (May 24)....he took a good morning and afternoon nap, and awake for his regular visitors. He continues to be off of oxygen, holding his oxygen levels around 98 as well as his heart rate has come back down to a comfortable level. After a conversation with his hospice nurse, we are back to doing his respiratory treatments 3 times a day. We will continue the bactrim for a full 7 days, so he will finish on Friday.
Wednesday (May 25), is just another day. He was engaged with his teacher, ate pretty good and continued to get back to himself.
As for Brian, Becca and I, we survived the uncharted waters....it was just the 1st time but we know it won't be the last. For those that knew, Ian was sick, thank you for all of your help as well as your text messages and phone calls checking in. We could not have done it without you.
|Thursday, May 26th...looking good after a rough week!|