Migraine vs Pain

I am a frequent headache/migraine suffer, and last night was just another one of those times. As I laid in bed trying to fall asleep, my mind wandered through the pain. It came on and off, sometimes slight pain others horrible. All I wanted was for it to go away...for sleep to come over me. It got me to think about Ian and his pain. How much pain is he in regularly? How does he deal with it? My heart hurt when I thought about it...I felt like my pain was nothing compared to what he goes through on a daily basis.

According to http://www.mayoclinic.org/ 
A migraine can cause severe throbbing pain or a pulsing sensation, usually on just one side of the head. It's often accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound. Migraine attacks can cause significant pain for hours to days and can be so severe that the pain is disabling.

According to http://www.ninds.nih.gov/
Pain in its most benign form warns us that something isn't quite right, that we should take medicine or see a doctor. At its worst, however, pain robs us of our productivity, our well-being, and, for many of us suffering from extended illness, our very lives. Pain is a complex perception that differs enormously among individual patients, even those who appear to have identical injuries or illnesses.

One of the biggest struggles for us with Ian at times is pain management. When I get a headache/migraine, I know my medicine and sleep will help it to feel better and eventually go away. For Ian, depending on the day, depends on what helps him to feel better, I don't think the pain ever goes away. I believe he has always and always will be in some kind of pain. Sometimes it is as easy as giving him one dose of pain medicine while other times it takes multiple doses of multiple pain medicines. And getting him to take a nap, well that is another challenge, unless its medicine induced. 

I am not sure where or why I am writing this except for the realization that the next time I have a headache/migraine, I will try to remember my pain is minimal compared to what my little man goes through on a daily basis. I will also try to remember the next time Ian's in pain, his pain threshold is probably relatively high and work through it with him. 

Comments

  1. I agree with you that migraine can be a huge problem and troublesome for many people. From what I have heard, it can be cured with natural treatments like chiropractic. My brother works with a Mississauga chiropractic and was telling me about it the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia Katznelson Broth I just want to (((hug))) you.

    Traci Kodeck Thank you for sharing your journey.

    Nancy Polack Kaplan It is very hard for us to endure the pain of our sick children, whether it is physical or psychological pain. David had the pain of anxiety disorder, depression and addiction. I feel sad he did not have a good quality of life for the 12 years preceding his death while fighting his illnesses. We feel pain for our children as they are struggling and even after the battle is over. Your migraines can be the physical manifestation of your empathy and struggle for Ian as well as shielding Becca from all of this. No matter what happens, rest assured that you as parents have done everything possible in this life to ease their journey and to give your children the best life possible within the scope of their circumstances. You can stand tall and proud in the assurance you have done your best. No guilt. I feel that I have done everything possible for my children, more than many others would have done. There is just a little guilt that that last time I was a mom and tucked my cold, tired son in bed with a kiss and didn't act as a health professional, taking vital signs and calling 911. I just thought he was tired, not overdosed because he still had pills left he hadn't taken. It has been over 7 years and I still think there was something I could have done. Alas, that is not true. When God calls them home, it is not always our decision. Love him everyday and pave the way for Becca to recover. My heart goes out to you and your family. I have been there. For 12 years we had 2 boys in and out of hospitals, sometimes both at once.It has taken a long time to recover and it is a work in progress. I firmly believe that the demise of a child should not ruin the lives of the 3 remaining family members. You will stick together and vow to live your lives to the fullest in his memory. Ian and David would want it that way. Give a hug to sweet, brave Ian for me. I hope he can have tolerable pain and breathing levels and that you can ease your migraines by letting go a little so Ian's difficult path does not affect your health. I wish you love and hope and I really have an inkling of what you're experiencing, having lived with children with chronic illness. Love and hugs to you all on this brave journey.

    Irene Summers Gordon Gellar Inspirational and heartwarming post, Marci. You are a gem...

    Adena Baer 😘😘😘

    Heather Lapsley DeConde 💜💜💜(((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts