What Makes A Hero?

A hero is a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities. For me that's Ian Alexander Scher and Becca Jordan Scher. They are my heroes.

As I sit in the sofa, wrapped in my Ian blanket, I think back to this morning when I got into Facebook and saw my on this day post. It was a link to the blog from September 8, 2016. I decided to read it...basically it was about the changes we were seeing in Ian and if they were to become our new normal. He had been sleeping 3-4 hours a day along with sleeping all night. His oxygen levels were dropping when we were suctioning him. The last few times we had been out he had problems with his HME. We had put a call into the pulmonary doctors to look into his vent settings. His smiles were not as strong. His energy level had decreased. His appetite seemed to be less. OMG...he was dying and we didn't know it. September 8, 2016 was a Thursday, he stopped eating the next day...more of the end, which again we didn't know. I still remember that week as if it was yesterday. I remember having Brian and I having a conversation with Becca that Friday night, she told us he was done and this was the end. OMG, what did she know. 

Watching my kids back then, and watching Becca today, have so much courage to continue to move forward. Watching them fight every day, in different ways, was and is heartbreaking while empowering. As Ian's first angel anniversary approaches, I hope we have the courage to get through the day, to face what the 2nd year with out him will bring us. To continue to live life like Ian did and Becca does...as a hero.



Comments

Popular Posts