Hope 365: Day 20 of Daily Meditations of the Grieving Heart

Grief can weaken even the strongest mind and cause it to question.

I never understood what grief did to the mind until I was flattened by grief when my son died. I couldn't make the simplest decision of what to eat for breakfast. I would lay in bed for over an hour trying to decide if I should make coffee or tea. Next on the list was what to wear. It got to the point that I had to write down a list the night before and then I would toss and turn in bed wondering if I had made the right decision.

When loss occurs and grief enters our hearts, our minds are confused. We no longer have normalcy as our everyday thermometer. Chaos is the norm, and even the simplest of things don't make any sense. Tomatoes and cheese or tomatoes and cucumbers? It's frustrating, and it's frightening. It's a wonder that we remember how to breathe in and breathe out. Truth be known, sometimes we don't remember. That's how grief affects our mind!

It gets better, but it takes time and patience. We get so frustrated with ourselves because we realize how disorganized our world has become but we simply don't have the strength or the ability to make a simple decision.

Baby steps...remember to take baby steps. Accomplish one thing today. Make one decision today. And, another one tomorrow. In time, you will be walking once again.

Even small decisions seem like mountains in the early days of grief. Be patient. It won't be like this forever. One step, one decision at a time. 

Comments

Popular Posts