Make-A-Wish

When I have shared with some that Ian has qualified for Make-A-Wish, I get very strange looks along with: "I don't know how to ask this but isn't that for kids with terminal illnesses?" Well the answer is NO. According to the Make-A-Wish website:
Many of the children who qualify for a wish go on to lead healthy lives. We grant the wishes of medically eligible children (i.e. those diagnosed with life-threatening medical conditions - i.e., a progressive, degenerative or malignant condition that has placed the child's life in jeopardy.)
Most wish requests fall into four major categories:
• I wish to go
Some wish kids want to travel to their favorite theme park, while others want to visit an exotic beach, go on a cruise, see snow for the first time, or attend a major sporting event or concert.
• I wish to be
Children search the depths of their imagination when they wish to be someone for a day – a firefighter, a police officer or a model.
• I wish to meet
Many want to meet their favorite athlete, recording artist, television personality, movie star, politician or public figure.
• I wish to have
Children often wish for a special gift, like a computer, a tree house, a shopping spree or something that they have coveted for a long time.

Comments

  1. That's actually interesting to know, Marci. I did not. While I have supported Make A Wish in the past, I also thought it was for terminally ill kids. In fact, I made a donation one year in my MIL's name for Christmas (as one of her gifts) and she got completely freaked out because she thought it was my way of telling her that Conrad was dying!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts