Shabbat Shalom

As we prepare for Shabbat, I think back to last week when I was preparing in Israel.  Here are my thoughts from that day.

Friday, December 1st & December 2nd

All the learning we have done this week stems from the Torah, how to interpret it and the underlying code and what it means for each one of us. Reflecting on all relationship with my family, friends, co-works, and anyone in my village (yes it takes a village), I'm actually doing some of these things, some I've tried in the past, while others I'll try in the future.  

This Shabbos was like no other I've experienced. Seeing the Shuk before Shabbos, how everyone spends time getting ready for the day, getting the fresh ingredients and baked goods they will need for Shabbos and the week. All the little kids running around on their own (at young ages with no parents) buying things for their parents. In Baltimore, we would not even consider sending our young children out and about on their own. When speaking with the Israeli's about this they were shocked that we can't/wouldn't send ours out like they do. It just reinforced how we are all different we all are, yet we are the same.

All 3 JWRP trips, currently going on gathered together to welcome Shabbos by dancing, singing and lighting candles. Our table had a memorial candle on it (I'm assuming they all did), being able to light that candle in memory of my beloved Ian was just another sign that he's here in Israel with me. Seeing all the candles lite as well as all of us dancing and singing at the Kotel with some of the soldier's was amazing...seeing the difference between cultures was enlightening. Having Shabbat dinner, approximately 500 women from around the world all here to gain more knowledge about Judaism and themselves...continuing to celebrate Shabbos together made me realize we are all one, all of us come from one place. 
Taking time away from the electronics helped me to connect with my innerself. For me to continue to realize more about my journey and finding myself again. Realizing my families journey is all a part of my journey and finding me. What and where will it bring me? 

Comments

Popular Posts