WONDER - By Brian

Based on the New York Times bestseller, Wonder tells the incredibly inspiring and heartwarming story of August Pullman, a boy with facial differences who enters fifth grade, attending a mainstream elementary school for the first time.

The first time I saw this movie was with Marci in the theaters.  Yes, people do still go to the theater to see movies, haha.  This movie pulled at my heartstrings as I am sure it would to almost anyone.  However, by the time the movie was over, I was in tears.  The meaning behind this movie hit home so much that it made me cry at the time.  I have since seen this movie 2 or 3 more times, and it has tugged at my heartstrings every time but not to the point of bringing me to tears.  However, we watched that movie again the other night, with Becca who picked it out to watch, and Marci was the one in tears.

This movie hits so close to home because of the meaning and symbolism behind it.  It has such an impact on me not mostly because of the difficulties Auggie has in the movie due to his physical appearance and the struggles he faces when going to school for the first time but more of how his sister, Via, is perceived and treated in the movie.  To me, Via is Becca.  Overall the years we spent taking care of Ian and how most of our focus was on him, we “forgot” about our amazing daughter. 

In the movie, Via is left behind and “forgotten” as her parents exert most of their time, energy, and focus on Auggie.  That is how Marci and I were.  Our main focus and attention went towards taking care of Ian all the while “forgetting” about Becca’s needs as well.  That is the part that made me cry during this movie.  Partly because of how Auggie overcame the taunting and teasing of other kids in the school just because he looked different but mainly because of how Via was pushed to the back burner, and her feelings were “forgotten.”  I keep using quotes for that word because we didn’t “really” forget about Becca, but I am sure she certainly felt as if she was.


In the movie, Via had a lead role in a play performed by her high school, and after the play, her parents were so proud of her they had tears in their eyes.  I feel that way almost every time I watch Becca perform in the band and seeing how far she has come riding horses.  I am amazed at what she has accomplished and how she has grown and blossomed into the wonderful, caring, intelligent, and loving young woman she is today. 

Another part of the movie that makes me smile is at the end of the movie when Auggie is presented with a medal for overall achievement during the school year.  This brings a small smile to my face because I clearly remember the day of Becca’s 8th grade “graduation” from middle school when she was awarded the Treuchet-Crumbaugh Citizenship Award.  This award is given to a student who displays an altruistic character, consistently helpful, and is an "all around good student."   Out of 400 students, one female, and one male are awarded the Treuchet-Crumbaugh Citizenship Award, Becca was the one female. We knew she was nominated, but she had no idea she was chosen as the recipient, as well as Marci and I were certainly surprised to hear her name called.  We were in utter shock and disbelief, I also had tears in my eyes because I was so proud of my little girl and the huge accomplishment she achieved by getting this prestigious award.  The shock and awe of hearing her name was the same reaction Auggie’s parents had in the movie. 

I know I don’t say it or show it enough to Becca but I am proud of who she is, what she does, what she has been through and where she is going.  I recommend the movie Wonder to anyone who hasn’t seen it yet and if you have, watch it again. 


Comments

Popular Posts