Looking back...

One of my first jobs out of college was working as a customer service representative for a home infusion company. I remember calling the mom's of some of the kids who were getting entral (feeding) therapies, sometimes thinking about what could be wrong with them that they need this. Some of the kids had ports for their therapies, while some just had the g-tubes. The other half of the company did DME supplies. I didn't deal with those but from talking with my co-workers, I also wondered what was wrong with the patients to need the equipment. I would think about how strong those families were to be doing everything they did, how strong the patients were, what kind of support they had...never, never did I think I would become one of those families.

Thinking back now, I had that job for a reason, not just to get my feet wet in the real world, not just to get my feet wet in healthcare (afterall, that is what I went to college for)...I had it for Ian. I had it so I could learn things I never would have learned in any other healthcare job, things I now need to know to advocate for him. This child who was not even here yet...Brian and I got married while I was at that job. Like any couple, we discussed kids...what we did not know then would change our lives forever....we were carries of the VRK1 mutation. Without knowing it, I/we were making decisions that would help us to become the parents we are today...to help Becca and Ian become who they are today and who they will be in the future.

I have always felt that things happen for a reason. Sometimes we may know what that reason is immediately, while others we may not know what the reason is until years later, and other times we may never know the reasons. Just another reason to treasure yesterday, dream of tomorrow but live for today...

Comments

  1. Marlene Ettlin You write everything so beautifully!!!!

    Harry Blacker You all are so strong. Love to all!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts